Who Am I
Hey friends. I’m Ali Abdaal. A former doctor turned YouTuber, entrepreneur, podcaster and soon-to-be author. I’ve been creating YouTube videos for over 7 years and have amassed a following of over 4 million on my main channel.
This page is a little self indulgent, it’s all about me. Hopefully you’ll find it interesting though 🙂.
Quick Facts About Me
- I studied medicine for 6 years at Cambridge University, graduating in 2018.
- I spent 2 years working as a Junior Doctor in the UKs National Health Service.
- I started my YouTube channel in 2017.
- My first videos were about medicine and studying. Now I make content about productivity, books, tech, and evidence-based strategies and tools to help us be more productive and build a life we love.
- I’m 29 years old. Born in May, 1994 in Pakistan. I now live in London.
My Journey From Student to Creator
My YouTube journey started back in 2017 when I was still a student at Cambridge University. I was studying to become a doctor (the dream was to specialise in plastic surgery). Back then, I started creating videos to help other people with studying and passing exams. This is when I started my first business with my brother, 6Med. We created a platform to help people pass the entrance exams and get into medicine.
Fast forward a few years and the videos I was creating started to be geared more towards productivity and passing on the knowledge that got me through medical school. I’d spend every spare minute I had planning the next video, writing scripts or researching ideas.
By 2020 I’d hired a small team to help me run the channel. With their help, I was bashing out a couple of videos a week whilst working as a junior doctor. That’s when the idea of our Part Time YouTuber Academy came to me. I figured all the knowledge I’d gained on this journey would be helpful to at least 10 people, so we launched Cohort 1 of PTYA in November of 2020. Over 350 people joined lol.