On this page
If there's one thing that's going to completely transform our school, college or university experience, it's how to study effectively. But the weird thing about studying effectively is that we're never taught how to do it. We may get the odd bit of advice from a teacher but usually not much more than that.
I discovered all this effective studying stuff when I was in my 2nd year of medical school, and it completely changed the game for me - not only in terms of making my studying more effective but it also freed up my time to start my own business and later my YouTube channel, while still getting pretty good exam results at university.
My Free, In-Depth Masterclass
The best way to get started and learn about the most effective, evidence-based study techniques is to take my How to Study for Exams Masterclass on Skillshare. If you don't have a Skillshare subscription, you can sign up to a free 2-month trial. You can always cancel your subscription during the trial if you don't want to pay for it, although for $10/month, it's totally worthwhile.
I've created a load of videos on my YouTube channel which talk through my study techniques in detail, but I've linked a few of my favourites here to get you started.
My Ultimate Guide to Studying
There's a large amount of scientific evidence out there that can tell us a lot about how to study in a way that maximises our results and minimises the amount of time we have to put in. I've created these resources for you which share my recommendations.
✏️ How-To Study Guides
And here are the 3 popular revision techniques I'd recommend avoiding too, as they've been proven not to boost performance.
All posts by date
- How to Learn Anything Faster
- The 5 Rs of Note Taking
- The Feynman Technique
- The Hidden Power of Boredom
- How to Manage Your Study Schedule - The Waterfall Method of Time Management
- The Art of Reading More Effectively and Efficiently
- How To Study: The Essay Memorisation Framework
- How To Study: Using the Method of 'The Great Explainer'
- How To Study: An Effective Learning Framework To 'STIC' With
- The Pomodoro Technique - The 'Tomato Inspired' Strategy to Improve Productivity
- How To Study: The Power of Retrospective Revision Timetables
- How to Study: Spaced Repetition and My 'Magic' Spreadsheet System
- How To Study: Active Recall - The ‘High Utility’ Technique You Should Be Using
- How To Study: 3 Popular Revision Techniques You Should Avoid
- Dealing with Bad Grades
- Exams are a game